Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Another ultra-thin membrane device

Another ultra-thin membrane device

John Lorne, Technical Officer for South Manchester GMP, having read the discussion in the thread "Ultra-thin membrane changes (U)SIM card usage"**, wants to raise awareness that, during his examinations, John has had firsthand experience with another similar device and emailed some comments to the webblog, along with the images below, which he thought would be of interest to readers
.
John Lorne, Technical Officer:
"I have used one of these its named MT-SIM. They are for using one's phone on any network. It works by punching a small hole into your SIM and laying the contacts of the MT SIM onto the contacts of your SIM.
"The small hole is required as the chip on the MT SIM faces the opposite way (upwards and away from the SIM compartment) and is the same thickness.The MT SIM is not a solution for multi unlocking as it has to sit with its surrogate all the time (the MT SIM works by making the handset omit from asking the question on start up "what network are we on?") as soon as the MT SIM is seperate then the handset will revert to its network provider.
"I have tried this on a test phone for examination purposes and found it works and allows one to get into the handset. I lost my call history with this operation but I would've lost this in any case when I use my test SIMs (I use Motorola test SIM to bypass network issues, but in every case I lose call history, Focus 112 can recover this for me). In the end a colleague of mine asked could I unlock his daughter's phone to any network, it was a BB5 phone and at the time couldn't be unlocked in the more traditional way ie UFS/JAF box. I slid this in and it worked exactly as it said it would, so in some cases its actually quite advanced."

No comments: